Tanzania Hunting Season
- 1st July until 31st December
- The season may end earlier (mid November) in some areas like the Selous Reserve because the rains may start towards the end of November making the hunting impossible.
- Tanzania lies so close to the equator that seasonal variations in temperature are not extreme.
- In the north, temperatures will range between 25ºC to 28ºC during the day.
- Further south, temperatures may reach 40ºC.
Firearm Import Regulations For Tanzania
Application for your firearm import permit for Tanzania must be made in advance so that it is at the airport on your arrival. If it is not, you will not be allowed to take your firearms out of the airport.
Application will be made on your behalf by the outfitter.
A fee of $250/rifle is payable to obtain a firearm permit
- Each hunter may import up to 3 firearms into Tanzania.
- Handguns, semi automatic and automatic firearms are strictly prohibited.
- Maximum amount of ammunition permitted is 200 rounds per firearm.
- Minimum calibre allowed for dangerous game (lion, buffalo & elephant)is .375H&H Magnum.
- Minimum calibre on all other game is .240.
- Copy of passport photograph/details page.
- Copy of proof of ownership of firearm. US Customs Form 4457 for US hunters or Firearm Licence/Permit for hunters of other nationalities. Both documents must include the firearms you intend bringing into Tanzania.
- 6 passport photographs.
Please send the above documents via mail delivery to:
P.O. Box 24
We will also need to know:
- Exact number of rounds of ammunition to be brought into Tanzania.
At Dar es Salaam International Airport:
- On arrival, you proceed through Immigration to the Baggage Hall where our representative will meet you.
- After retrieving your baggage and firearms, you proceed to the Customs desk where an officer will check the serial numbers and the Tanzanian firearm permit which our representative will have ready. The officer may also count your rounds of ammunition.
- If you have more than a total of 100 rounds of ammunition, the officer may decide to charge you ammunition tax, payable there in US$ cash.
- On departure, our company representative will meet you before check-in and take you to the firearms office. He will have your firearm export permit which is checked against the serial numbers and your ammunition may be counted by the officer. Once done you take the firearms and check them in with the rest of your baggage as usual.